Hickman County Ky. Historical  Society

Learn From Us

INDEX FOR HICKMAN COUNTY KY CONFEDERATE PENSION APPLICATIONS AND WIDOW'S APPLICATIONS

VETERANS APPLICATIONS

JOHN WESLEY ALLEN

JOHN KELLEY BRINKLEY

JOHN DEW

JOHN T. DREW

JOSIAH GAYLE

GEORGE REESE GWYN

GEORGE REESE GWYN (SECOND APPLICATION)

THOMAS JEFFERSON GWYN

JAMES DAVID HALL

GEORGE ELDER HAYDEN

ALEXANDER MITCHNER HICKS

WILEY L. HILLMAN

WILLIAM HENRY JORDAN

JACOB ALLEN LANNOM

MARSHALL LOCKRIDGE

L. T. MOORE

GEORGE WASHINGTON MORRISON

JOSEPH L. MYERS

JOHN ADDISON NALL

W. J. NALL

JOHN H. RAMER

JAMES STERLING RASH

JAMES MARION ROBERTS

CHARLES MARSHALL RUTTER

HENRY THOMS SPICER

JAMES CALVIN SPICER

JOHN WESLEY STONE

THOMAS J. SWEEZY

JOHN THOMAS THOMPSON

JOHN WESLEY TUCKER

MICHAEL WASRD

LYNN BOYD WEATHERFORD

S. T. WELLS

JOSEPH DUNCAN WILSON

WIDOWS APPLICATION

ELIZA ARANT

MALINDA MISSOURI BARCLAY

MALVINA A. BURROW

ELLEN BUSHART

MATILDA CAGLE

SIS CHALK

NANCY VIRGINIA CLARK

MARY J. CRUTCHFIELD

SOPHIA CUNNINGHAM

MARY GILMORE DREW

LAURA EUGENE GOLDEN

KATE A. HASKELL

LUCY H. HICKS

MARTHA JANE HICKS

EMMA C. HODGES

MARTHA ELIZABETH JOHNSON

NANCY ELIZABETH JONES

JULIA C. KEMP

ELEANOR LANNOM

MARY C. LOCKRIDDGE

SAMMIE ELLEN MONTGOMERY

REBECCA KATHERINE MURPHY

LUCY ELLEN MYERS

MARY JANE MYERS

LUCRETIA HELEN MCCLELLAN

MARTHA MARENE NORMAN

SUSAN BROWN PARROTT

KITIE ANN PIPER

PHOEBE C. PRINCE

MARY D. ROGERS

VICTORIA PARMELIA SCOFIELD

NANCY F. SHUFIELD

EMMA KELLEY SMITH

ELIZABETH ANGELINE SULLIVAN

NANCY LOCKET TARVER

TABITHA SUSAN TARVER

LUCY A. THOMPSON

NANIE S. WEATHERFORD

AMANDA ELIZABETH WEATHERSPOON

ANNIE L. WELLS

SUSAN L. WILLIAMSON

MARY ADALINE WILMURTH

MARY ANN WILSON






EXCERPT FROM NEW BOOK "HICKMAN COUNTY CHURCHES"


FRIENDSHIP METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH SOUTH

     Very little is known about the Friendship Methodist Episcopal Church South.

     On March 1, 1894, the land the church was built on was donated by Theressa Brown.  Three acres and one hundred poles were deeded to the trustees of Friendship Methodist Episcopal Church South who were J. H. Craig, J. R. Graham, and H. C. Brown for the consideration of "the love I bear for the cause of Christ and from an earnest desire to promote His heritage on earth".  Also three-fourths acre, adjoining the above tract, was donated by  A. L. Day on April 19, 1894 to the same trustees.

     The house of worship sat on the left side of the Clinton-Mayfield Road, what is now Highway 58 east, just past Mrs. Joyce Bugg's house.  It was a white frame building which sat east to west with the front entrance facing east.  It had no front porch or upstairs.  The church building was also used as a school house for some time.  The church was on the East Clinton Charge.

     Families known to have attended Friendship Church were:  Hardin and Adaline Batts Weatherford, Emmett and Swannie Mobley Weatherford, the Garland Hoskins , and the Gore Sisters, Jessie and Ruby.

     The church was said to have closed in the 1940's.  On November 20, 1947, a deed was found between the trustees of the Friendship Methodist Church and C. B. Harper and Leacy M. Harper.  The trustees of the church were deeding the two tracts the church was built on "thru authority granted them by the Memphis Annual Conference held in Paducah, Kentucky, November 5-9, 1947, inclusive and under direction and authority recorded in said minutes and properly entered and adopted and ordered by the    Presiding Bishop".  The trustees were M. E. Weatherford, J. L. Craig, and E. M. Nall.

      Even though this is a very short history of Friendship Methodist Church, we all know that the people who formed this church made a difference in their community.


The new book "Hickman County Churches--the Old and the New includes histories of all the churches in Hickman County that could be found.  The book will be available after November 21, 2015, at a cost of $25.00.



    



This article was written by John Ross, Jr.  for the Historical Society.  It gives one an idea about what Moscow was like in the late 1800's.  It is amazing how many businesses was in the community at this time.

     Moscow in 1881.  I find the below entry for the village of Moscow in the 1881-82 Kentucky State Gazetteer and Business Directory very interesting.  Today Moscow consists of only a few private homes. 

     On page 423 it states "MOSCOW".  In Hickman County, 7 miles from the county seat, and 375 from Louisville.  It is a station on the M. & O. R. R., has a population of 400, and contains a steam flour-mill, a church and a free school.  Tobacco, cotton, live stock, grain and produce are shipped.  Express Southern.  Mail daily.  W. W. hall, postmaster.  Beadles Joseph, grocery and livery./ Bowers Emerson F., groceries and crockery./ Corum, James H., druggist/ Davis Noble J., physician/ Drew John W., lawyer/ Galloway M. W., justice of the peace/ Graham Robert S., blacksmith./ Hall Wm. W., Proprietor Merchants' Hotel and Post Master/ Haynes, Watkins, physician/ Humphreys J. R., grocer/ Lane John A., groceries/ Lane, Moore & Roberts, gen store and grain/ Little J. T. & Co., general store and grain/ McLeod A. H., station and express agent./ Merchants 'Hotel, Wm. W. Hall, Proprietor/ Page John D. shoemaker/ Ramer Wm., blacksmith/ Ramer W. H. & Son, wagon-makers/ Roberts, Jas M., livestock/ Roberts, Worth & Co., proprs. Moscow flour mills/ Scott J., grocer/ Smith J. H., justice of the peace.  Have you found any of your ancestors in this list?